½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped
3 Tbsp grated green apple
150gm all purpose flour sifted with ½ tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp baking soda
100gm diced green apple (abt 1cm big)
1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. Line a 8 inch square pan.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and pale.
3. Put in one egg, and beat until it is well emulsified (it’ll look like buttercream), scrape the sides , then add the 2nd egg and beat for another 30 seconds.
4. Put in grated apples and beat for 5 seconds.
5. Put in half the sifted flour and beat for 10 seconds, scrape the sides and put the the balance of flour and beat until well mixed and smooth.
6. With the mixer off, with a spatula, fold in diced apples.
7. Spread the batter onto pan and level it.
8. Sprinkle crumble topping on top and bake for 30 minutes until surface of cake is golden brown.
Crumble topping (Make more if you find mine to be sparse, of which is yes, but it’s just nice for me)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
And a bit of vanilla seeds from above (or substitute with ¼ tsp cinnamon powder)
Rub everything together until it resembles crumbs