Pickled crunchy carrots make a terrific accompaniment for just about any meal. I love to eat this Achaar (pickle) with plain rice and yogurt
- 1/2 kg/ 1 lb (approx) carrots, washed and patted dry
- 6 tbsps mustard oil (use any vegetable oil if you cannot get mustard oil)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps fennel seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsps kalonji/ nigella
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt/ salt
- 1 thumb-sized piece of ginger minced/ chopped very finely
- Juice of 1 lime/ lemon
- Cut the tops and tails off the carrots and then cut them into small 1/2″ cubes.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan, on medium heat, till very hot. Add the whole spices and fry for 30 seconds or till popping and spluttering stops.
- Add the carrots, salt and ginger. Mix well. Stir often and cook till carrots are slightly soft. Remove from fire.
- When cooled slightly, add the lime/ lemon juice. Put the pickle into a sterilized jar with a tight lid. Keep in the sun daily for 2 weeks. This will cause the pickle flavors to develop nicely.
- The pickle will keep outside the refrigerator, for a month. To store longer (not more than 8 weeks) keep in the fridge. Stir the pickle with a dry spoon every few days.