Can be made in individual dishes or as a tart or a cake.
500g apples (your choice of make)
350g plain flour
250g unsalted butter (1cm cubes)
350g caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp maple syrup
Juice of 1 lemon
- Core and peel apples, then chop into 1cm cubes, pour into mixing bowl and toss in lemon juice.
- Combine 250g of caster sugar with the plain flour and the cubed butter then rub between your fingers until a “sandy” texture is achieved. This is the crumble mix.
- Sprinkle the apples with the mixed spice and 100g of caster sugar, then pour in the maple syrup and mix well.
- Place mixture in an oven -proof dish, then top with the crumble mix. Bake in hot oven (220 degrees) for approximately 40 minutes or until the top is crispy.
Apple Crumble Cake..
½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped
3 Tbsp grated green apple
150gm all purpose flour sifted with ½ tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp baking soda
100gm diced green apple (abt 1cm big)
1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. Line a 8 inch square pan.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and pale.
3. Put in one egg, and beat until it is well emulsified (it’ll look like buttercream), scrape the sides , then add the 2nd egg and beat for another 30 seconds.
4. Put in grated apples and beat for 5 seconds.
5. Put in half the sifted flour and beat for 10 seconds, scrape the sides and put the the balance of flour and beat until well mixed and smooth.
6. With the mixer off, with a spatula, fold in diced apples.
7. Spread the batter onto pan and level it.
8. Sprinkle crumble topping on top and bake for 30 minutes until surface of cake is golden brown.
Crumble topping (Make more if you find mine to be sparse, of which is yes, but it’s just nice for me)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
And a bit of vanilla seeds from above (or substitute with ¼ tsp cinnamon powder)
Rub everything together until it resembles crumbs