Can be made in individual dishes or as a tart or a cake.
500g apples (your choice of make)
350g plain flour
250g unsalted butter (1cm cubes)
350g caster sugar
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tbsp maple syrup
Juice of 1 lemon
- Core and peel apples, then chop into 1cm cubes, pour into mixing bowl and toss in lemon juice.
- Combine 250g of caster sugar with the plain flour and the cubed butter then rub between your fingers until a “sandy” texture is achieved. This is the crumble mix.
- Sprinkle the apples with the mixed spice and 100g of caster sugar, then pour in the maple syrup and mix well.
- Place mixture in an oven -proof dish, then top with the crumble mix. Bake in hot oven (220 degrees) for approximately 40 minutes or until the top is crispy.
Apple Crumble Cake..
½ vanilla pod, seeds scraped
3 Tbsp grated green apple
150gm all purpose flour sifted with ½ tsp baking powder and 1/8 tsp baking soda
100gm diced green apple (abt 1cm big)
1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. Line a 8 inch square pan.
2. Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until light and pale.
3. Put in one egg, and beat until it is well emulsified (it’ll look like buttercream), scrape the sides , then add the 2nd egg and beat for another 30 seconds.
4. Put in grated apples and beat for 5 seconds.
5. Put in half the sifted flour and beat for 10 seconds, scrape the sides and put the the balance of flour and beat until well mixed and smooth.
6. With the mixer off, with a spatula, fold in diced apples.
7. Spread the batter onto pan and level it.
8. Sprinkle crumble topping on top and bake for 30 minutes until surface of cake is golden brown.
Crumble topping (Make more if you find mine to be sparse, of which is yes, but it’s just nice for me)
2 Tbsp brown sugar
3 Tbsp all purpose flour
And a bit of vanilla seeds from above (or substitute with ¼ tsp cinnamon powder)
Rub everything together until it resembles crumbs
4 john dory fillets…burramundi or any fish
¼ cup (35g) plain flour, seasoned
Juice of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Steamed potatoes , steamed green beans, to serve
- Pat fish fillets dry with paper towel and dust with seasoned flour, shaking off any excess.
- Melt half of butter in a large frying pan on medium heat. When starting to sizzle, add fish fillets and cook for 2 minutes each side, until tender and golden. Remove to warm plates.
- Add remaining butter and lemon juice to pan, increase heat to high and stir for 1 minute, until well combined. Stir through parsley. Serve fish with steamed potatoes and green beans and spoon over sauce
These fish packets can be cooked under the grill, on a barbecue or in the oven or steamed in a steamer.
You can use any vegetables of your choice….steam or bake first for 10 minutes, then add fish and steam for a further 10 minutes or until cooked when tested.
2 cups very thinly sliced assorted summer squash (such as zucchini, yellow crookneck, and pattypan) 4 tablespoons dry white wine
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallot 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, plus cup basil leaves Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
20 cherry tomatoes, halved 4 6-oz. skinless white flaky fish fillets (such as Atlantic cod or halibut)
Read More http://www.ivillage.com/fish-fillet-packets-cherry-tomatoes-squash-and-basil/3-r-536569#ixzz2VwU0YlJB
Sign up for iVillage Special Offers
Fold four 24×12-inch pieces of heavy-duty foil in half crosswise; open foil and place on a work surface. Divide squash among pieces of foil, arranging in layers on one half of each piece of foil. Sprinkle shallots and sliced basil over, dividing equally. Scatter tomato halves around squash. Drizzle each with 1 Tbsp. wine and ½ Tbsp. oil; add ½ Tbsp. water to each packet. Season with salt and pepper. Place a fish fillet atop each portion of vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle ½ Tbsp. oil over each fillet.
Fold and crimp edges of foil to seal packages. DO AHEAD: Can be made 4 hours ahead. Chill. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before continuing.
Build a medium fire in a charcoal grill, or heat a gas grill to medium-high. Place packets on grill grate. Grill until fish is just cooked through (a toothpick poked through the foil will slide through fish easily), about 10 minutes. Carefully cut open packets (steam will escape). Garnish with basil leaves.
Read More http://www.ivillage.com/fish-fillet-packets-cherry-tomatoes-squash-and-basil/3-r-536569#ixzz2VwUa3Q3h
Sign up for iVillage Special Offers